Monday, August 29, 2011

The long road back

Hey everyone! Long time no write. Over a year. Wow.

Not saying that I can keep up the pace I used to, but I'm going to give this a go again.

Let's see, where to start? Well, mini-raul is now an exuberant 2 year old. He does not care to sleep through the night, but he has an endless reserve of energy. Truly a perpetual motion machine. I give mad props to all parents out there. I had no idea how difficult parenting would be (nor how rewarding).

As far as training goes, well, after he was born, it was a quick and steady decline into a sedentary lifestyle. At first it was eating the same without running, and then it became eating a bit worse without running, etc etc.

So, a few months ago, I hopped on the scale for the first time in 2 years. I quickly hopped off, and flipped it over to recalibrate it. Stepping back on, it turns out that the scale was accurately representing what I wasn't quite ready to admit, that I reached an all-time high. Not necessarily a good thing, there.

I started then, getting back into running. I was doing twice a week, but I'm now consistently running once on the weekends, and going for 2 or 3 walks a week. It's not what I used to do, but it is certainly better than nothing.

My wife has started Weight Watchers too, so I've started eating better as a result (or perhaps its because there's nothing to eat in the house?).. That's helping too.

So, fast forward to today, I'm down 12 pounds from the all time high, and starting to get back in shape.

Short term, I'd love to do something like P90X or even a 30 day shred sort of thing, but I don't think I can commit to working out every.single.day.

But, that's where I stand. I'll try to post a bit more, and stop around to the blogs a bit more.

Of course, keep on rockin'..

1 comment:

Carolina John said...

haha, you're back!

I also hit my all time high of 235 lbs after Evil Genius was born. Kelley went on weight watchers then too, and I lost weight because she was cooking healthy dinners.

We've never looked back. She lost 85 lbs on WW, I dropped 40 then, gained some back, lost it again over the winter and am coming in to a race ready 175 lbs and holding.

Give it time, pick a goal, and it will come off. It might also be a good idea to pick a race to target, and check out the book Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald. It's what finally got me lean and fast.