Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Knowledge

One of the interesting things about running is that I'm always learning something new.

In this case, that isn't always a good thing.

Saturday, I went for a long run. Sunday, I dutifully took the day off.

Monday, I was walking around work, and I noticed that my feet hurt. I mean, really really hurt. It was painful walking around. The pain seems to be on the outside of my foot, opposite of the arch. It doesn't go to the top of the foot or to the heel. And, this was on both feet.

Ugh. I came home and decided to bang out a few miles. I planned to do 2 miles, just to get out there, but wound up doing a little over 3. I had once read that if you just get yourself out the door under the premise of doing a short workout, you'll often wind up doing a full/normal distance. It was painful, but eased up after about 2 miles. Of course, at home afterward, it hurt.

I woke up this morning and was disappointed that the pain was still there. The right foot was slightly better, but the left was unchanged.

After doing my research this morning, I'm going to diagnose myself with Peroneal Tendonitis. It's an overuse injury, which would seem probable. I also saw references in a forum saying that calf issues may lead to it. I certainly have had calf issues over the past month, so it's not an unlikely link. I think I have about 56 miles in over 17 runs this month, after taking a week and a half off due to my broken elbow. That's a bit more frequent than usually do, and I think I'm paying the price. Add in my 10 miler over the weekend, and I think we've got it figured out.

Plus, as I work on fighting my ITBS issues, I think the problem starts to shift to a different area. (I saw references as this being called the 'Kinetic Chain'). Not that my IT band is fixed by any means..

I think my goal of a half marathon this year is now officially shot. I just haven't done enough long runs, and I sure as heck am not going to be able to rest myself and squeeze in the long runs over the next couple of weeks. Oh well. I'm hoping I'll just be able to maintain my fitness as I work through this issue.

I'll probably switch to my elliptical for a week and see what happens.


On a bright note, I have my first official 'follower'! Woot! Hello to Cyberpenguin!

No comments: