Thursday, November 6, 2008

TIART - Running Transitions



This is the first week I've participated in Take It and Run Thursday over at Runner's Lounge. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I suppose transitions were what brought me to running. A couple of years ago, I went through a terrible loss, and was going through internal discussion with myself, self-discovery, etc.

I had been friends with my current running buddy for a few years and was somewhat envious of her running ability. At the time, my past experiences with running had been, well, awful. I ran cross country in middle school for one season and hated it. I ran track for a part of a season until some irreconcilable differences came up between myself and a "team" mate.

Looking back to that time years and years ago, I realize I just wasn't at a point where I mentally could do the running.

In my self discovery time, something came over me that yes, I would like to give it a go. Part of it was just so I could go running with my running buddy and hang out with her. Part of it was so that I could improve my health & fitness.

I "ran" for the first time in years, and realized all that it could do for me. I was mentally at a point where I understood it all, and realized all that running could do for me, and I've kept with it since.

So, transitions brought me to running. New transitions that come along don't really pull me away. In fact, running helps me. If something is really bothering me, I go out and run. I can run off some of the stress and am better off for it. (Now, if only I could run an hour and a half every day!)

6 comments:

X-Country2 said...

Running is the greatest free therapy around!

tfh said...

Thanks for sharing your experience-- sorry that you had to go through a loss to come to running, but I agree that ultimately running helps us handle the tougher parts of life.

Midwest said...

No matter how bad a day I'm having, running always makes me feel a little bit better. Welcome to TIART! I hope you keep posting.

Shoe Running said...

I'm glad that you found running and all of its benefits :) It's a great way to get through the troubles life throws at us!

Denise said...

Running is great therapy! And it introduces you to such a unique group of people.

Anonymous said...

Nice to meet you! I agree that running makes the transitions easier. I think that being mentally ready to run is much more important than being physically ready. If your head is the game, your body can work up to it. If your head isn't in the game, you'll never get there.