Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Mashups

My wife said I should talk about music sometimes. So, today's the day, dear.

This probably won't be too in depth, but hey, it's a start.


I came across this page today, which has a plethora of links to downloads for music mashups.

Mashups are an interesting creation, I must admit. Existing songs are mashed together to form a new song. Often the tracks are slowed down or sped up so that they blend well. They're certainly not something for the purists.

One example of an extremely well done mashup is the one done between Jay-Z and Linkin Park. The two styles fit well together, and it makes for an excellent album. I wish this album was longer than the 6 songs that it is. (Maybe that's a sign they knew what they were doing - they quit while being ahead).

Over that album, the songs are mixed together and cut in and out between LP and Jay-Z. I'm a big LP fan, but haven't listened to a lot of Jay-Z. Truthfully, since LP is not too far off from the rap/hip-hop scene at times, it really isn't that big of a stretch to see them together. (The CD came with a DVD of a live performance of the mashup, as a matter of fact).

Part of the beauty of the mashups is that it may introduce you to new music. I listen to a little Jay-Z now, for instance. It also presents old music in a new light.


Anyways, I came across that page today, and decided to download some of the songs and albums. It's a mixed bag from the little bit I've gotten to listen to. None of it seems bad. Some is average, some is very good.

I'll take a couple of songs and discuss, I suppose. Track 20 off of the 'Best of Bootie - 2005' is a mashup between Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and N.W.A.'s 'Straight Outta Compton'. I have both of these albums, and enjoy both of them. Certainly, not two that I'd pair together normally. (The thought never occurred to me until today, actually). It's pretty well done, all being said. The N.W.A lyrics are put to the music of Nirvana, and it's a reasonable fit.

On the other hand, track 15 of that album is a mashup between Billy Joel's 'Big Shot' and Jay-Z's 'Big Pimpin'. The lyrics from Billy Joel are slowed down and force fit into the style of Jay-Z. It just doesn't go.

I'll give them props for trying it out, though.


So, if you get bored, check out some of those albums. You may want to listen with headphones if anyone around you could be offended by lyric contents, depending on what songs you choose.

No comments: