Thursday, September 4, 2008

Candlebox



Checked out Candlebox the other night. Totally awesome show.

There were two warmup bands. First was 'The Kings Royal'. The singer of this band must have thought he was Jim Morrison reincarnated. He wasn't. He was toasted like Jim was, but that's where the similarities ended. The band just wasn't doing it for me.

Second was 'Small Town Sleeper'. They were tight. Played well together. Didn't provide a lot of excitement, though. Not a bad band, just nothing memorable. Good to listen to for a warmup.

Then.... Candlebox. I remember listening to them in the 93-94 timeframe.. very good album. I really liked 'Happy Pills' when that came out in 98.. They had been quiet as far as I know until recently. I haven't picked up their latest album, but certainly will now.

The singer, Kevin, can belt it. Holy cow. The energy he brings is just intense. Awesome. They played a mix of old and new stuff. I wasn't too familiar with the new stuff unfortunately. They did play old favorites like "10,000 horses", "You", and "Far Behind".

The crowd really got into it too, what little crowd there was. People complain about not getting big acts to go to. If you don't fill the joint up, don't be surprised if they don't come back and others don't come. I mean, it wasn't even close. Probably just under half full. I was expecting wall to wall people, it being Africa hot inside, etc. Nope. Plenty of room to move around, easy to get a beer, etc.

But, it was an excellent set by an excellent band. Check them out if they're ever around you.

Keep on rockin'! I know I was!

No comments: