Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Case of the Mondays

Yeah, yesterday was a total case of the Mondays. Most things that went wrong did. Never got into a groove. Etc.

I did go for a 3 mile run, but again, Mondays. Blah. Tired achy run. End result was I managed about a 9:45 pace, and I'm taking Tuesday off. Forget it. I'm probably already hitting close to the 'overtraining' mark.

Blah. As I alluded to yesterday, I had some new beers this weekend.. That's what happens when the local grocery store expands and gets an awesome beer selection. I had even made a loose promise to myself that I'd "cut back". I got in there and was like an alcoholic a kid in a candy store. Here we go:




First up was Southern Tier's Pumking. Holy cow.
This came in a big bottle, perfect for sharing with a friend. It's like pumpkin pie in a bottle. Very strong flavor, lots of good spice. My friend said it best. It's a great flavor, but you couldn't pound one after another.
I thought it was a good beer with great aroma. The carbonation and head were moderate and appropriate. It's a good after dinner beer, and certainly one to enjoy early in the evening. I'd follow it with something else, though.



Next up was Beck's Oktoberfest. It's a wonderful German style beer, that has a good malt flavor. Not an overpowering malt, but appropriately balanced. The color was nice and dark, as well.

Follow that up with:

Saranac's Octoberfest. It was the third new beer of the night, and it didn't stand out as much as the Beck's did in the Octoberfest category. The color was lighter, the flavor was not as strong. There wasn't much of a head, and limited carbonation.

Thinking that it may have just been the fact that my taste buds were tapped out, I tried the Saranac again the next night. It did better, but again, probably not my favorite in the Octoberfest category. (That award probably goes to Harpoon.. although a good Sam Adams draft is always in the mix).

(Yeah, and wow. Some of those pictures look pretty bad.)

Got some other treats up my sleeve and down the hatch, but we'll save those for another day.


So, the running total for last week was 19.2 miles. The drink total was *ahem* probably a bit higher. I'm always hoping for a more miles than units consumed. (One could say, "run more miles" or "cut back on the drinks". But.... they each have their own set of challenges)

Oh well. Keep on rockin, everyone! (I say that like there's a zillion people reading this. Hehe)

No comments: