Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A brief lesson in physics

So last night, my running buddy sent me a text and proposed going biking instead of running. I was totally all over that, and she met up with me, and off we went.

I wasn't sure how she'd do, as she hasn't rode a bike in quite some time, and was borrowing my wife's. (She did just fine, for the record)

I was a bit rusty getting into those toe clips, as I've been pretty lax on biking lately. Finally got hooked in after a bit.

We did a little tooling around the local neighborhood, and then proceeded to hit the main drag. No worries.

We took a turn into another neighborhood and rode around there for a bit, and decided to head back.

On the way back, there was a small hill to go up. I led the way up the hill. Upon reaching the top, I stopped to make sure she was alright. I turned my head and saw that she was.

Physics lesson: The interesting thing about a bicycle is that unless you're balanced just right, you generally need to be moving in order to stay upright.

So, you'll recall that I had stopped. After swinging my head around, I realized that the bike was tipping. "Oh, no problem. Let me just put my foot down."

Yeah. Well, unfortunately, I was successful in getting my feet in those toe clips.

My foot stayed securely in place in the toe clip, and down I went.

Of course, being the resourceful guy I was, I said to myself "Self, let's put our arm out to stop the fall!"

Yep. Wrist planted in the ground, I crumpled up on it, and down I was.


And yes, this happened out in the public street with someone watching (besides my running buddy).

So, I was with a dinged up palm, a hurting wrist, a hurting elbow, a hurting shoulder, and a case of severely wounded pride.

The guy standing in front of his house was nice enough to ask if I was ok. Of course, after I assured him that I was, he did ask if I had raced in the local bike race this past weekend. Har har.


Managed to bike on home, yielding a result of about 4.5 miles. I was hoping for 5, but, things happen.

My shoulder started to feel better later in the night, but my elbow was killing me still. I did follow the 'RICE' principle. Well, at least 'RI'.

Today, after taking an informal poll here at work, I decided to go to the doctor, who promptly sent me for x-rays.

I await the results. Stay tuned!

No comments: