Monday, August 11, 2008

Idle Weekend

I opted not to run this weekend, in order to let my legs rest up and heal. That approach seems to have worked, I only have one or two spots that feel 'twingy', compared to the 2 dozen I had on Thursday.

I'm looking forward to getting out and hitting the pavement tonight, though. The time off can be maddening.

The only workouts I did this weekend were some pushups yesterday. It was supposed to be an exhaustion test, according to the plan... I opted to do the following: 45, 45, 45, 30, 35. That put me at the 200 mark. The first 45 were with my 'perfect pushup' gear. The rest were au natural.

That qualifies me to move on to week 6. I've decided that I'll jump over to the 'easy' column for week 6. Then, I'll probably move to the middle column, followed by the last one. I was barely squeaking by, so this will give me a chance to earn my keep for the week.

I went out to a new (to me) bar this weekend. They had this beer on tap:


It's the Purple Haze by Abita Brewing.

The bartender was kind enough to give me a sample. That was ample for me.

It's a wheat beer, with very strong fruit tones to it. Reading the web site, there is raspberry pulp added to the beer. When drinking it, I knew nothing of it. I did immediately notice the fruit. The fruit really was overpowering.

I preferred the Raspberry Wheat Ale from Southern Tier Brewing, as far as a raspberry beer goes.

The bartender also told me that her experience was that most people tried a taste and moved on. Those that sampled really never ordered a pint of it. I guess I added to that list.

Interesting to see that this bar also had the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat on tap. Not something I see too often around here.


I also had the opportunity to try out Three Olives grape flavored vodka.
I thought the vodka was very smooth. There certainly was essence of grape which you could easily taste. Unfortunately, the grape flavor had an odd aftertaste. I prefer the grape flavor found in Grape Pucker. Maybe it's because the vodka wasn't sweet, that the flavor wasn't balanced out the way I'd expect. Trouble is, though, most of the other flavored vodkas (Van Gogh, Absolut, Smirnoff) I've had haven't left any kind of weird taste in my mouth.

I'm willing to bet that the plain Three Olive vodka is very nice, however.


That's all for now...

No comments: