Saturday, August 23, 2008

Rockin' 10

Went out yesterday afternoon/evening for a long run. I was aiming for 7.5 miles at a 10:30 pace, followed by 2.5 miles at a 9:00 pace. The break was going to contain a stop at home to get a drink of Gatorade.

Actual results- 7.5 @ 10:29, 2.5 @ 8:58. Can't do better than that!

I wound up meandering through some neighborhood streets I hadn't hit yet, so that was some new scenery at least.

I do love going for a long run. Just a personal sense of accomplishment saying, hey, I ran 10 miles. Just for the heck of it.

Good news was that my ITBS didn't act up, and my broken toe didn't twinge, so I think those guys are pretty much on the mend. Can't be disappointed there, either.

I also gave doing a pushup exhaustion test a try after running. I did 50 followed by me immediately collapsing on the floor. After laying in a heap for a few minutes, I did another 30.

I'll try again Sunday, after a 2-3 mile run.


I definitely see and feel the value of doing the long runs at a slower pace. Last year, I didn't do that, and I think that contributed to me breaking down at the end of the year. Today, I honestly feel like I could go running again. I won't, but it's good to feel this way. Last year, after running a long distance, I'd be barely making it, feeling all creaky and achy and ugh.

Kicking up the pace for the last 25% was definitely challenging. I set it at 9 minutes per mile, just to see.. Ideally, I'd like to complete a half marathon in under 2 hours. I think it's possible, but may be tight. Debating just running it at a slow pace just to finish. I have a couple of months to decide, anyways.

Keep on rockin'!

No comments: