Monday, August 4, 2008

Virtual Partner

So, Friday, I hooked up with my virtual partner.

Whoa... what did you think I was talking about?

No, no.. not that partner. My Garmin watch has a function which lets you run with/ahead/behind a virtual partner. You input the distance/pace/etc which you want to run, and your partner runs that pace to a T. Very impressive.

I figured that my watch has all of these functions, I should try using them out.


Since my legs were aching a bit on Friday, I decided to punch out an easy 4 miles, sitting at a 10:00/mile pace.

It was kind of neat, interacting with the watch.. Trying to speed up or slow down to keep it exactly right. In the end, I succeeded. My first mile was like 10:06, my second at 9:58, third at 9:56, and ended with 10:02. There was an extra quarter mile in there afterwards, because I couldn't remember the exact distance to my landmark/turnaround point.

I may have to start using that feature on my long runs. I didn't like slowing it down like that, but I think it was beneficial. I felt fine for the first 3 miles, but the 4th, I started slowing down. My legs had had enough for the week, I suppose.

I was adding up my mileage, and it was 16+ miles for the week. All of which were quality miles, too. (For me, there's no such thing as 'junk miles', though). When adding, I kept coming up with 20 for some strange reason. I finally got it to the correct number of 16. Basic skills sometimes elude me.

Friday, I skipped the next day of the pushup plan. I did do some pushups, though. I started out with 50 regular pushups (not using my 'perfect pushup') apparatuses. (Is it apparatuses? Must be, since the spell checker in Firefox didn't complain). I did some extras later on with the perfect pushup gear. Enough to feel it, but not to over tax me.

On Sunday, I completed Week 5, Day 1 of the 100 pushup plan. Barely. But I did. Good thing the directions indicate you can take longer time between sets if you need. That last set, I took a couple of hours. (Well, we did get a phone call and left the house right then..)

The next days appear to have more groups of pushups, with fewer numbers per group. The rest time goes down, so I think the goal is to start pulling the numbers in closer together, almost like doing 100 in a row would be.

I have more topics to blog about, but I'll throw those in different posts. It will give you all something to look forward to. (And, it will kill some more time)

No comments: